Racquetball: Double Donut Studios | Racquetball Action Photography

2006 USAR National Singles Wrap-Up

May 31st, 2006 by Geoff Thomsen

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to the 2006 USAR National Singles Racquetball Champions; Rocky Carson and Rhonda Rajsich!!! Rhonda interrupted Cheryl Gudinas’ 6th consecutive National Title by taking a win in 2004, but Cheryl stormed back in 2005 for her 6th overall title. After securing her first year-end #1 ranking on the WPRO Tour, Rhonda capped an incredible season with her second win at National Singles in three years. Rocky has been battling fiercely with Jack Huczek for the 6 past years, and dashed his chances to be the first male with three consecutive wins with a tie-break victory this past weekend. This title will be Rocky’s third, with wins also in 2000 and 2003.

Some quick DoubleDonut event stats:
Cans of redbull: 9 (slow start due to $3.50 a can at the Hyatt)
Cans of Coke: lost count
pictures taken: 4600
Matches and Events covered: 35

It’s going to take some time to process the “final cut” from those 4,600 shots, but I am hard at work. Check the site for updates, or subscribe to the RSS news feed to receive automatic updates. For now, some teasers:

What would National Singles be without some challenging photography? ;)

Related posts:

1. Photos: 2008 National Singles
  2. 2006 National Singles Photos – Men’s and Women’s Finals
  3. Photos – 2006 National Singles Round of 16 (and misc.)
  4. 2006 National Singles Photos – Men’s Open Quarterfinals
  5. Photos – Women’s Semifinals – 2006 National Singles

Entry Filed under: Racquetball News,Racquetball Photos,USA Racquetball
Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Comments.

• 1. jackie tilton | May 31st, 2006 at 12:48 pm

I dont like that last one lol, makes my eyes hurt like that other one of Kane you have ;)

Jackie

• 2. geoff | May 31st, 2006 at 12:52 pm

This one? ;)

I need to integrate that one back onto the homepage! (one of my favorites!)

• 3. geoff | May 31st, 2006 at 12:55 pm

How many times have you seen Cheryl get airborne? The picture above is actually one of two I got at this event!

• 4. Brian | May 31st, 2006 at 1:43 pm

Geoff, i think it would be great if you had a photo printer at the event so we could buy selected prints immediately. I’m not thinking of all 4600 being available, but an example would be the outstanding one Leo put in the newsletter (sunday’s, i think) of Shane flipping a behind-the-back shot while Jack was jumping in the air. That one was Sports Illustrated material. If you had a booth with a selection of the great ones available for printing, it might be a revenue producer (a’la Ruben’s artwork booth). I’d love to have that Shane/Jack one signed by each player next to their flying body parts, and it’s too late to do that once we all leave the club and go home.

i know you are extremely busy during tourneys, but maybe there would be windows of opportunity during slow periods when you would be able to man the booth. Or put a sign up for a time when you would be there that day and we could come back.

Just a thought. Keep up the excellant work.

• 5. Bill George | May 31st, 2006 at 3:02 pm

You’re the BEST Geoff! Keep it up bud.

• 6. geoff | May 31st, 2006 at 3:57 pm

Brian – I’d love to offer prints onsite, but I’d have to sell around 50-100 prints in order to make it worthwhile with the extra equipment and resources required. At this point in time, I’m not confident that would happen at an event like National Singles. I’m working my best to offer some IRT / WPRO goods, and if that happens, I could possibly have prints to offer (from other events like the US Open where the picture quality is exponentially better).

Bill – Thanks!